Quick Trip: Romblon in 48 Hours

Monday, March 25, 2013Ryan Mach

I like to romanticize my journey home (I wrote a post about it here). Going back to the place I grew up has always been a nostalgic affair for me. After leaving our house in the province more than a decade ago to pursue my college education in Manila, the once-in-a-year trip back to my hometown has since become a sojourn and a moment of escape from the hustle and bustle of the city.

Traveling to Looc (that's the name of our town) requires some plans and preparation simply because getting there takes at least 12 hours: 3-hour road trip and a 9-hour sea travel. I can't imagine spending just a day there and then come back to Manila the day after. It's been a tradition for me to go home every summer but this time, it'll be a little different as I won't go home per se. My friends and I will be doing a Romblon Leg which includes a short visit in Tablas, from there, we'll wind our way to its neighboring islands, capping the tour with a quick trip in Carabao Island and Boracay.

Before the anticipated trip happened, I got a call from my sister that the primary school I graduated from had once again asked me if I could be their guest speaker for the graduation ceremony. They had been inviting me for quite a few years but I had always refused the offer. I didn't feel like I was in a position to talk about success when I knew that I haven't been yet a man of success. Despite the gnawing self-doubt, I accepted the invite and on a clear Sunday morning, I packed a few clothes, took a bus south and sailed forth. Spending two days at home did a lot of good to my soul and body. Time was slow and unhurried, I got to pig out on my all-time favorite food, slept too early and woke up very early the next day. I just stayed at home the whole time. I honestly can stay at home all day everyday doing absolutely nothing and still feel not bored.

[Watching the sky turn saffron, pink and red is one of the things I look forward to every time I board the ship. Ferries normally leave Batangas Pier a few moments before sundown. You can simply take a spot at the railings and gaze at the horizon.)

[Moon peeks through]
[Graduates singing "Patuloy ang Pangarap"]
[My grade school teacher]
[Red ant, local name 'kadag']
[Our moody but playful cat]
[Very young coconut]
[Aglipay bread]
[Mother cat]
[Odiongan Pier, time to go back to Manila]
[The ferry took too long to arrive]
[We left at around 9 in the evening, which was very late]

You Might Also Like

4 comments

Contact Form - Powered by Blogger