Meet the Young Blood Traveler | Den: Seven Days in Phuket

Friday, February 22, 2013Ryan Mach

I met Den at a friend's wedding in Lopez, Quezon late last year. He traveled to the town solo, which wasn't a problem with him since he likes hitting the road all by himself. He could have joined us on the way back to Manila but he preferred taking the bus alone so he went off with only his bag and phone for company. Den is no stranger to solo traveling because he has in fact gone outside the country on a number of occasions alone. He has been to Thailand twice. Just recently, he spent a 7-day holiday in Phuket.

For the latest edition of Meet the Young Blood Traveler Series, Den shares with us his itinerary and experience in Phuket. 


It's my second time in Phuket and I'd say that overall it has been an absolute fun. Philippines and Thailand are like twin sisters and so Thai hospitality reminds me of our Filipino hospitality. Phuket is famous for its beautiful beaches, its wild (and sleazy) nightlife and exquisite scenery but there's definitely much more to this island than that. Its plush history has left a legacy of vibrant temples, spicy foods, and those familiar warm smiles all wrapped up with Thai’s mixed and tolerant culture.



Day 1: I touched down at Phuket International Airport pass 2PM. And it was such a frustration to queue in at the immigration for nearly two hours! After I’ve successfully hurdled my way out the airport I went straight to Chalong and later headed off at Chalong Pier and had dinner at Rimlay Restaurant in Rawai. I had their traditional Pad Thai for my dinner. Yummy!


Day 2I went on a city tour. A city tour would usually cost around 2400 baht each car for 9 hours. But since I was with a friend who lives in Thailand, it did not cost me anything. First off, we visited Big Buddha and had our lunch at the nearby Lae lay Restaurant. Then we went to: Promthep Cape, Nai Harn Lake, and Karon Viewpoint. Nice places to capture those Facebook shots.



Day 3I spent the whole afternoon at Nai Harn Beach. This is one of the island's most popular places among the locals. This is a rather serene place compared to Patong Beach. My friend says that Nai Harn is ideal for swimming from November to April, while during May-October there can be strong undertows.

Day 4If you want a break from just bumming around the beach, or being furious in the evening with the crazy nightlife, you could hang out in the malls. If you are in hunt for cheap clothes, cosmetics, toiletries and of course any type of food, then you can’t go wrong with Big C both for price and vast of choice. Central Festival is close to Big C. It is certainly one of the most enjoyable places in which to spend a spare day of an all-out shopping and entertainment you well-deserved. The mall contains lots of shops. On the way from Big Buddha to Promthep Cape you will see the neatly-designed HomePro Village. It houses Villa Market which is very popular with tourists, as they have a wide range of items which are normally quite hard to obtain elsewhere.

Day 5This day is for Patong Beach, which is an ideal place to party and play. By night, the Soi Bangla (the main road in Patong) becomes even more inviting with its high-spirited nightlife which boasts literally hundreds of restaurants, beer bars, and of course gogo bars!

Day 6I was exhausted from my crazy night at Patong that I just I decided to have some tranquil time in Nai Harn Beach.

Day 7I strolled at Rawai Beach which is not really a “swimming beach” but more of a “working beach” as it serves as a launching point for day boat excursions out to Phuket's nearby islands. On its shores, you could find many long tail boats available for hire, where you can arrange a trip to Coral Island, Koh Lone or Racha Island, or a fishing or snorkel trip.

It was a holiday packed with fun and charm. Lovely seven days which made me reluctant to fly back to Manila. Can’t wait to greet “Sawadee Krap/Ka” on my next visit.

Den blogs at www.dennisrelojo.com

Want to share your travel photos, stories and experiences on PinoyWanderingBoy? Email me at journeyoferos@yahoo.com


MEET THE YOUNG BLOOD TRAVELER SERIES


You Might Also Like

1 comments

Contact Form - Powered by Blogger