Sunset Series

Sunset Series

Thursday, June 21, 2012Ryan Mach


There's something about sunsets that makes me lonely, sad, inebriated, mystified - depending on my mood and the current state I'm in. Sunsets are my kryptonite, my Waterloo, my Achilles' heel. If I'd be lured into trickery, a breathtaking sunset would be an easy bait. 

For the most part though, I always equate sunset with sadness, I'm not sure why. Maybe because it provides a perfectly dramatic background for brooding. To sit atop a hill or beside the shore with the saffron sky in the horizon is just poetic. 
Pardon my sentimentality. I'm just wired this way. 
Remember the Little Prince from Antoine de saint-Exupery's well-loved novel? He moves his chair to the end of his planet as many time as he likes just to watch the sunset. That's what always comes to mind whenever I watch the sky turn into a lonely palette of orange, red and yellow.
Sometimes, I'd imagine myself talking to the Little Prince. He'd tell me, ”One day, I saw the sunset forty-four times! You know–one loves the sunset, when one is so sad..." I would then ask him, "Were you so sad, then, on the day of the forty-four sunsets?" But the little prince, as always, would make no reply. 
That's how sunset affects my emotion. I've witnessed a thousand sunsets but the fascination never wears off. I can watch a million more and would never grow tired doing so. I'll sure catch as many sunsets as I can from now on.
Through this series, I'm sharing photos of sunsets which I took from my travels.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

Contact Form - Powered by Blogger