Aglicay Rediscovering My Hometown Romblon 2012 Series

Travel Guide: How to Get to Aglicay

Monday, May 14, 2012Ryan Mach

It was summer of 2010 when I first saw this beach. I was on top of a hill overlooking a gorgeous seascape. I instantly fell in love with her beauty and I promised to myself that I'd go here next time I go home. But it wasn't until April of this year that I got to see her up close. A relatively short visit but a very memorable one.

How short?
We got there at around 4:30 in the afternoon and we left few minutes after 6. I planned to go there at 2 but my travel buddy said it wasn't a good idea because the sun's still up. We'd burn, as if our skin wasn't burned enough from the previous day of beach hopping.
Tell me more about Aglicay.
Aglicay promises to offer a 'haven for rest and recreation.' An idyllic place that gives off a rustic vibe, the resort is nestled on the southeastern part of Tablas in Romblon, between rolling hills and blue waters that sweep into a stretch of fine sand. Locals often muse that if you want a secret place to hide (i.e. you want an exclusive spot away from those prying eyes), Aglicay is the place to go. Why? Because it's practically off the beaten path, far from the national road and not a lot of tourists go there, at least for now.
So it's off the radar.
You can say that. But that's the beauty of this place, it's not touristy. It's charmingly laid back. Peace and quiet, you can have that here. Especially on the other side of the beach which is virtually hidden from the sight. It's more of a fishing area though. The shore is rocky and muddy but the view, particularly in the late afternoon, is stunning. I can't describe it without getting too mushy, so I'll skip that part. Just look at the photo below.
One interesting spot on the beach is a hill that you can hike to, to have a bird's eye view of the beach.
Would you recommend Aglicay if I want to have party on the beach?
I'm not sure how is it like in the evening but I do think it's quite peaceful and extremely serene. You can mount your tent on the beach or sleep under the stars. With unobstructed view of the sky, I bet you can really see the stars and the glorious constellation overhead. That's what I'll do when I go there next time - I'll bring a tent and a few friends. We'll make a bonfire, enjoy the tranquility of the place, drink some booze and sleep peacefully.  Oh yeah, I'm coming again and I'm bringing some friends so they too can experience Aglicay.
It would be fun if there's at least a videoke there.
There's more to this place than beach bumming. For starters, you can play volleyball, go boating on the tranquil beach in the morning or late afternoon, or take a hike to the hill. A videoke is not really needed in a place like Aglicay.

I don't want to bring a tent. Does that mean I have to sleep on the sand?
They have bungalows, dorm-type rooms and large kiosks. I haven't got a chance to check out their rooms but according to their website, they have fan and air-conditioned rooms, hot and cold shower. For the budget conscious, large kiosks can double up as open-air sleeping area at night. Cushions and bedmats will be provided or you can opt to snooze on your sleeping bag.
I'm a hardcore backpacker who plans to stay at a longer period of team. Can the beach accommodate this type of set-up?
Very much. They have rooms available for rent for long stays. Guests can request for a kitchen to use at their convenience. You may want to get in touch with their guest relations officer for more details. Or email them at aglicay_beach@yahoo.com or info@aglicaybeachresort.com.
Do they have free wifi? 
I believe they now do. Tablas Island, at least for the time being, doesn't have a wifi zone, but there's signal all over the island (Sun not really) so you can still connect to the Internet using a prepaid kit. I would like to warn you though that it can be painfully slow. Forget about your Facebook or Twitter, instead, hear the sound of waves as they lap on the shore, watch the sky awash in orange as the sun sets - you see, there's a lot of things you can enjoy apart from checking your social site.
How do I get there?
If you're from Manila:
Fly via Seair on Mondays, Wednesdays, or Fridays at 10:40 A.M. to Tablas Airport and return on the same days at 11:50 A.M.
Or via Zestair on Tuesdays, Thursdays, or Saturdays at 6:00 A.M. and return during the same days, at 7:45 A.M.
Other options can be found here.
And rates here.


You Might Also Like

9 comments

Contact Form - Powered by Blogger