Looking for Peace and Quiet in Caleruega

Sunday, November 03, 2013Ryan Mach

I imagined Caleruega to be completely serene and peaceful - a haven of sorts for people looking for quiet. The blogs I read about the place never failed to talk about how subdued and enchanting the whole surrounding is. Although I always take everything with a grain of salt, I was simply sold hook line and sinker with the idea that it could possibly be the best place for soul searching. Besides, I was longing for a place that promises tranquility and Caleruega seemed to be the most feasible option. So I invited a few friends for a day trip in Caleruega and possibly a hot bulalo in Tagaytay on our way back. That weekend, I had a bruised ego to say the least and I was hoping that a place like Caleruega would heal whatever emotional crap I was having.
That's the problem with expectations. They inevitably burst your bubbles. I had this grand assumption that Caleruega, with its supposed lush environment replete with handsome gardens, was a perfect venue for soul searching. Unfortunately for me however, I left the place more disconnected than ever. I couldn't tell exactly why - I just didn't feel any emotional connection with Caleruega.
Even the pictures I took were uninspired. If not for the company of good friends, I would easily consider the experience borderline lame. On the other hand, it would have been a completely different experience altogether if I went there alone.


But hey, that's just me. For what its worth, Caleruega is not uninteresting. Far from it, to be honest. Its vibe and atmosphere may depend on the time of day you go there or the number of people you see. In retrospect, it's perhaps the crowd that ultimately shattered it for me. Don't get me wrong. The people were far from being rowdy or loud. It's just that I expected the place to be devoid of human beings. Thinking about it now, going there on Sunday was possibly not a good idea. The whole vicinity was teeming with people. Even the church itself was crowded.
Caleruega's close proximity to the metro is arguably one reason it becomes a favorite weekend getaway among families and friends. It's a park, retreat venue and a place for worship rolled into one. And let's not forget Tagaytay that lies too close to the place. After hearing the mass in Caleruega, one could dine at one of the various restaurants in Tagaytay with an overlooking view of Taal Lake and Volcano in the distance.
The Transfiguration Chapel
Inside the chapel. For some reason, I could hear music coming from good dreadnought guitars.

Hallway of a retreat house
Intricate staircase
Hanging wooden bridge
Colorful glass panel with an image of Christ


Kid running, having swell time under the sun

Retreat house
Garden beside the concrete pathway


Metal platform in the koi garden

Kids watching the koi fish in the pond




How to Get to Caleruega Church
Getting to Caleruega is easy and pretty straightforward. There are Nasugbu-bound buses in Buendia and Pasay. All buses that ply to Nasugbu, Batangas pass by in Evercrest Resort, which is the drop-off point to Caleruega. Tricycles parked beside the road take guests to the church. One way fare is Php20.00 and the trip back costs an additional Php5.00.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

Contact Form - Powered by Blogger